Spain Visas & Embassies


If you are from a member-country of the Schengen agreement - Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, plus Iceland and Norway (which are not EU members)- you do not need a passport to enter Spain. An official national ID card will suffice.

Citizens from EU countries that do not form part of the Schengen agreement must carry a valid passport to enter Spain. These are the UK and Ireland, as well as new members of the EU that do not yet participate in Schengen are Cyprus (joined in 2004) and Bulgaria and Romania (joined in 2007).

If you are from any of the aforementioned countries, Switzerland or member-countries of the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland & Liechtenstein), you do not need a special visa to enter or reside in Spain. If you are planning to stay for more than 3 months, however, you need to apply for a residence card.

Spain visas for non-Europeans:

Citizens of the following countries do not need a visa to stay in Spain for less than 90 days, only a valid passport: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong & Macao (China), Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Singapore, South Korea, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela.

If you are from any of these countries and desire to stay in Spain to work or study for more than 3 months, you must solicit the corresponding visa. Agreements and processes vary by country, so it's best to consult the Spanish consulate closest to you.

Obtaining a student visa for Spain is not difficult, as long as your school provides the necessary paperwork. Apart from an official invitation letter you will need a certificate of good health, clean police record and proof of funds to pay for private insurance while in Spain.

Obtaining a work and residency visa is much more complicated and laws are constantly changing. The company in Spain must present the necessary paperwork to the Ministry of Labor here, including proof that no Spanish resident is capable of filling the position. The law now states that no illegal alien may solicit a work visa from within the country.

Most countries’ Spanish embassies are located in Madrid, however many have consulates in either Granada or nearby Málaga. Here is an abbreviated list of some of them:

Consulates in Granada:

c/ Recogidas, 66 1A
958 25 16 31
c/ Carlos Pareja, 5
958 26 14 47
c/ Dr. Martín Lagos, 3, 1ªC
958 26 13 61
c/ Canadá, 27
Huétor Vega (Granada)
958 51 04 87

Consulates in Málaga:

Alameda de Colón, 26
Piso 2, Escalera Izquierda
952 60 02 67
c/ Compositor Lehmberg Ruis, 5
952 39 99 07
c/ Cervantes
Edificio Horizonte
952 22 33 46
c/ Blasco de Garay, 7
952 21 24 35
c/ Duquesa de Parcent, 8
052 22 65 90
Paseo del Limonar, 28
952 22 78 66
Great Britain
c/ Mauricio Moro Pareto, 2-2º
952 35 23 00
c/ Salitre, 16
952 31 18 47
c/ Palestina, 3
952 30 61 50
c/ Blasco de Garay, 7
952 21 03 31
c/ Marqués de Larios, 4, 2º
952 22 27 57
Saudi Arabia
c/ Compositor Lehmberg Ruiz, 5
952 27 74 50
c/ San Lorenzo, 4, 6º
952 21 72 66
United States
Avda. Juan Gómez "Juanito," 8
Edificio Lucía, 1º-C
Fuengirola (Málaga province)
952 47 48 91